Friday, May 8, 2015


Story - Sohini's Diary

Abhay had to wake up early today for work , though waking up early is not his cup of tea , but he was happy as he was assigned for a murder case for the 1st time. Abhay lives in Baguihati area of kolkata with his father and mother. His elder sister is already married and settled in Chennai.
Now coming back to our story , the case which Abhay was assigned was in the news since yesterday. A family is murdered in DumDum lake town area. Family consisted of Father Mohitesh Roy(Age 49) , Mother Madhuri Roy(Age 43) and Daughter Sohini Roy(Age 22). Mohitesh was a doctor in a renowned hospital, while Madhuri was housewife. The crime scene way worse than how it was showing on TV , Abhay was disgusted. All of their hands were tied up on bed and throat slit and faces mutilated with repeated attack. The room’s wall was not having any clock , calender , not any family portrait. The house looked like it was not getting used. Neighbours came and broke the door as they were getting smell of rotting flesh from the house for last 3 days. The door was locked from inside the house.
After brief interrogation on the spot from one of the neighbours mr. Majumdar Abhay came to know that , the Roy family had moved to this area only 2 months back. None of the family members were mingling with anyone of the locality , they mostly used to keep the Windows and doors closed. Also he has not heard any shouting or any unnatural sound from the home , though he lives in the adjacent home to the Roy house. Abhay thanked him for all the information. One other officer came out from the crime scene and handed over a diary to Abhay and told him that this diary might be helpful. All of the three bodies were sent to forensic lab for further proceedings. Abhay was in deep thought from where he should begin the investigation , as a 1st murder case this one seemed to be pretty heavy for him.
After coming to home , he started to check the diary from the crime scene. It was written by Sohini Roy. Sohini used to log her every day life in this diary , her mother and father had a very good relationship , they used to go everywhere as a family , parents gifted a cycle after she passed her 9th standard exam , Rahul’s entry in her life , she used to chat with him all day long on facebook , on phone . This portion of Rahul is written in a very congested manner ,that , it looks like these portions have been included afterwards , Abhay thought. But suddenly the incidents in the diary kept changing page by page , police complaint lodged against her father , the bad relationship between her father and mother , father hitting her mother , her father’s desperate try to kill her mother infront of her eyes ,. The change of incident was awkward for him. As lots of pages were teared off. Then one page caught Abhay’s attention.
Date – 8th Jan’2010 : Today I have found a phone number written in a small piece of paper in Mother’s bag when she went to Kitchen. I was curious that why she’ll keep a number like this in her bag , why not on her mobile. I called the number from my mobile and I was shocked when I heared the voice from the other side. It was Rahul. Today I have not been able to sleep , only thinking why my mother will keep a secret phone number which no one will ever know of and why Rahul is calling her. How often Rahul was calling my mother , I need to find…..
This was the last writing in the diary. Was there any relation between Madhuri and Rahul? Did Mohitesh came to know about something that Madhuri did not want him to know? Why Sohini was killed?Why Police complaint lodged against Mohitesh?
Abhay was thinking all these things , the mobile rang. Abhay learnt from forensic that , there are two murder weapons used. One to kill her father and mother and another one was used to kill Sohini. But Abhay startled when he knew that the weapon used to kill Sohini’s father and mother was having Sohini’s fingerprints. Abhay was really confused , if Sohini has killed her father and mother , then who killed Sohini and why she killed her parents.
Abhay was thinking how can he progress , he was restless. He sat on the chair , the pages of the diary were getting scattered by the wind and Abhay observed something . There is a slight difference of handwriting between other pages and the incident on 8th Jan’2010.Tthe handwriting slightly changed and he knows this style of writing ‘S’ because he has seen this many times . Abhay found a clue and punched the air. Now Abhay clearly rememberd that when he was there in the crime scene , he could not find any diary . Now it was very clear to Abhay. Abhay called his superior and asked something and asked for the force on the next morning.
Abhay and his force’s destination was Bangur 43b block with one more man with his head fully covered in their police van . They went to the door and Abhay knocked on the door. A lady came out of the room with a child on her lap , ‘Abhay , what happened? Why with all the forces you have come?’ , the lady asked. Abhay smiled ‘ To meet Biresh Da , can we come in’. Biresh came outside his room and was in a bit shock , but he handled himself and tried to smile ‘You guys have come? Any clue to the case?’. Abhay nodded ‘Yes Biresh Da , we have clue and we came to discuss with you’. ‘Yes , Sure’ , Biresh told. ‘By the way , Biresh Da , What do you think about me? I mean I am just a newly appointed detective , so what do you think of me , can I shine in this line’ , Abhay asked in a sarcasm. Biresh hardened his jaw ‘why are you asking stupid things’. Abhay also became serous ‘ Okay then let’s come to the point , why you have killed the Roy family.’. Biresh was furious , ‘What nonsense are you saying’. Abhay told him ‘ you are the one who gave me the diary and I read the diary , but it struck me when I observerd the failed attempt to copy Sohini’s handwriting and you wrote that bullshit about her father and mother to force me to think in other way , you are the one who made up a story of Love story between Rahul and Sohini , you knew that there was no Rahul in Sohini’s life , and you are the one who selected me for this case as you thought I’ll be your perfect bait to escape the crime and i will be baffled when I will find out that Rahul Sarkar did not know Sohini at all.’
Biresh began to laugh ‘You are a kid , without finding any proof how you have come , I can suspend you’. Abhay also smiled in a cruel way ‘ Bring him in’ , he ordered. It was Mr. Mazumdar in the room. ‘Biresh Da , your dog has confessed everything , how you have bribed him to talk to lie to police about the family and not complaining against you’. Abhay was looking direct to Biresh now ‘ Biresh , now you’ll tell or I should tell’.
Biresh looked to his wife in a guilty way and began to tell ‘Mohitesh was my friend , He used to do illiegal abortions of girl child. Each time I covered up from him by taking bribe.’, Biresh sighed and again started ,’ once he did one child abortion and the girl died on the operation table , police complaint lodged against him , at that time I made a deal with him about Sohini. I had eyes on Sohini , so I offered him that I can save you but to do that you have to allow me to sleep with your daughter. Mohitesh agreed and we continued this for two years. Even after they moved to Lake town area , I used to go to their house and take advantage of Sohini. One night Mr Mazumdar saw me in action , hence I bribed him.’. ‘Then one night when I went to the house , Sohini already killed her father and mother and after seeing me she was furious to kill me , but I had to kill her to save myself , then I tied their hands and teared off lots of pages written about my and Mohitesh’s deal and wrote false story to drive the investogation In other direction’. Biresh’s wife came and slapped him in disgust , guards restricted her. Abhay asked for rest of the pages from the diary from Biresh and ordered for Biresh’s arrest.
While resturning from police station Abhay was reading the teared off pages from Sohini’s diary ‘ I can not bear it anymore. My father is helping his firend to sleep with me , to take advantage of me. Whom I knew as uncle , he is raping me every day. Whenever I tell to my mother , she tells ‘your relatives are doing this to you , no one else is doing this to you na!’ , My self-esteem is getting looted everyday in my own house . If a girl is not safe in her own house , then she can’t be safe anywhere. So I have only one way to finish this….’ , Abhay looked up in the sky with eyes full of tear.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good one.
Suggestion : you could add some more stories before it reach to the climax. I love the way you write. Just add more ...